Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Winter Madonna Problem Solved

Finally, I say, finally, I have figured out the problem with my Winter Madonna piece.

I have not liked the white patches. The white background was too stark for the other rich colors. The motif was cut off in some of the blocks. Both just didn't work for me.

With the thought that I might enter the new C&T publishing Fabric Images contest, I took another look at the piece. It's been hiding in a drawer all winter and most of the summer.

It became painfully obvious what to do! I could just cover the offensive white areas with new patches and add new photo images. Off to the computer to make some new madonna and flower images!

I am pleased now! The upper squares will have rose sprays cut from fabric to cover those white patches. I also plan to cut out the computer images and buttonhole stitch them to the blocks (eliminating the white around them).

While this piece may not be contest worthy, it is satisfying to come to a solution!


sophie said...

Isn't it interesting how often quilting becomes about problem solving ... I like where you are taking this piece!

Barbara C said...

Well it's good to see you back at work on the Madonna project. Sometimes you just have to let things rest until you can gain fresh perspective. I can't see from the photos how the white was a problem, but I know from my own work that when I use white it calls so much attention to itself it makes me not want to use it at all. I'm glad you found a solution to your problem with this piece.

Susan said...

The stitching will just look like more embellishment. Good problem solving!